Difference Between an Audiologist and
Hearing Aid Practitioner

There are substantial differences in the educational level and scope of practice between the two professions.

  • Audiologists must have completed 6-8 years of university level course work and practicum, leading to a Master’s degree or Doctor of Audiology degree in order be registered with ACSLPA and to practice in Alberta.
  • Hearing Aid Practitioners (HAP) have typically completed a 2-year diploma level course and are training in basic hearing testing and hearing aid fitting for adults. HAPs must be registered with their College in order to practice in Alberta.

While audiologists also fit and dispense hearing aids, they have an expanded scope of practice and advanced skills/expertise, specializing in the prevention, assessment, diagnosis and management of hearing and balance disorders, for individuals of all ages.